This has become my super-easy, go-to, batch-cook fridge staple. Apart from the carrots, it's a just a few store cupboard ingredients that can be thrown together into something nutritious and tasty, ready for hurried, hungry moments. Quinoa is renowned for being a complete source of the essential amino acids you need and it's also lowFODMAP! Woop :)
[5 mins Prep, 35 mins cooking time. Total = 40mins]
Makes 5 portions
5 large carrots, diced
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp smoked paprika
270g (1 2/3 cups) dry quinoa
100-200 ml (1/2 to 1 cup) water
400ml ((1 2/3 cups) tomato passata
salt and pepper, to taste
*Serve with some garlic oil, chopped coriander, jacket potatoes, toasted nuts or seeds and greens or salad.
1. Sauté the diced carrot with the oil in a large saucepan for a couple minutes
2. Add the spices and stir for another minute
3. Add around 100ml (1 cup) water and let simmer for a couple minutes, so the water can soak up the spices
4. Now add the passata and quinoa. With a medium-low heat, bring the "chilli" to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid
5. Keep an eye on it, every so often and add water if needed.
6. Once the quinoa is cooked, turn off the heat and season to taste.
7. Eat now or divide into fifths and put into boxes to store in the fridge for up to 3 days or the freezer.
This recipes featured in my What I Eat In A Day video, which you can watch below x