Aw sourdough, the saviour of lowFODMAP brunches! If you're ever near a proper bakery, buy some 100% sourdough bread, slice it and freeze it!
Unfortunately the stuff you find in a supermarket is unlikely to be true sourdough bread. If the ingredients contain yeast or vinegar, it's not going to be the proper lowFODMAP variety, just normal bread masquerading as sourdough.
This recipe is simple, sweet and it'll make you completely forget you're on an elimination diet!
[5 mins prep + time for the chia seeds to soak, 10 mins cooking. Total = 15mins]
1 tbsp chia seeds, blended with 2 tbsp water, left for 20 minutes or overnight
1/2 cup (120ml) lowFODMAP plant milk e.g. almond
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of cinnamon
2 slices 100% sourdough bread
Coconut oil for frying
1. Whisk together the chia seeds, plant milk, maple syrup, vanilla & cinnamon in bowl.
2. Dip the bread into the mixture, giving it just a moment to soak up the milk, so it doesn't get too soggy.
3. Heat a frying pan and add a little coconut oil.
4. Fry the soaked slices of bread until golden on the bottom and then flip over to cook the other side
5. Serve with your choice of one lowFODMAP serving of fruit (e.g. 10 raspberries, strawberries, 1/3 ripe banana), more maple syrup, sugar with a little cinnamon in it, dark chocolate... depending how naughty you are feeling!
This recipes featured in my LowFODMAP, Vegan "What I Eat In A Day" video, you can check it out below x